Glidewell’s director of clinical research and education tells DentistryIQ readers why digital dentistry—which dental sleep medicine specialists can utilize—makes sense.

In our lab today, 100% of the crowns we make are fabricated with CAD/CAM technology. Whether it’s an IPS e.max crown, a BruxZir crown, or even a porcelain-fused-to-metal (PFM) or cast-gold crown, it is digitally designed, milled or printed on a 3-D printer, and then pressed and/or cast. Knowing that 100% of our crowns are now CAD/CAM, you might be surprised to hear that only 10% of the impressions we receive are digital. As a result, we have to still pour the remaining 90% of conventional polyvinyl siloxane (PVS) impressions and scan the models ourselves in order to design the crowns digitally.